Who are we?
We are Monzo Bank Limited (“we”, “our”, “us”) and operate under the name of Monzo.
We’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. If you have any questions about your personal information please chat with us through the Monzo app, or by emailing us at [email protected], or by writing to us at 1st Floor, 230 City Road, London, EC1V 2QY.
We’re registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office under number ZA108184.
What information we hold about you
- Information submitted through our app or website - for example, when you sign up to the app and provide details such as your name and address, or details we collect about how you use the app and website
- Details of your transactions with us, including any cards and accounts used
- Information which is tied to your usage or settings on your phone - for example, the mobile network you use, your IP address or operating system
- Information you give us explicit permission to access from your phone such as your address book, photos, geolocation and data from your camera
- Information from any social network or online account that you share with us
We use this information to:
- Help manage your account
- Track, analyse and improve the services we provide you and other customers
- Search your record at credit reference and fraud prevention agencies to check your identity and generate a credit assessment of you. Credit reference agencies will keep a record of our enquiries, which may also be used by other organisations with access. This may affect your ability to get credit.
- Prevent illegal activities like money-laundering and fraud
- Market and communicate our products and services and those of affiliated partners where we think these will be of interest to you. You can always unsubscribe from receiving these if you want to, by email and via the app.
- Make responsible lending decisions, like offering you an overdraft
Who will we share it with?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- anyone who works for us
- any organisation which supports any of our products that you have
- third parties that carry out advertising services for us
- certain authorities to detect and prevent terrorism (including authorities outside the UK) if one of your payments is processed through a worldwide payment system
- anyone who you give us explicit permission to share it with or
- if we must disclose your personal data to comply with the law, or to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of us, our customers, or others.
You have a right to access the personal data we hold about you or to obtain a copy of it. To do so please contact us through the app or by emailing [email protected]. We may charge you a small fee to cover our costs for providing this information.
What we will not do
- We won’t share identifiable personal data with third parties for their direct marketing unless you give us permission
- We will only keep your personal information for only as long as we need to. We’ll then delete it securely and safely
- There may be times when you give us sensitive information such as your racial origin or trade union membership. We’ll only use this information in strict accordance with the law
Where your data is stored
The data we collect from you may be transferred to and stored somewhere outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff outside the EEA who work for us or one of our suppliers.
Changes to this policy
Any material changes we make to our privacy notice in the future will be posted on this page and, if appropriate, sent to you by email.