All this week, we’ve been outlining ways we’re trying to help people traditionally excluded from financial services get access to bank accounts, as easily and quickly as possible.
That’s bank accounts for immigrants, bank accounts for refugees and bank accounts for people who live on boats. Today, we’re going to outline some general advice for people who don’t have a fixed address and want to get a bank account — with traditional banks, it’s often quite difficult to provide proof of address without a council tax statement or another bank account statement.
We’ve tried to make it simple to get a Monzo account, even without a permanent fixed address.
- Download the Monzo app on iOS or Android and start signing up.
- You’ll need some form of ID to hand — that could be:
- a passport
- a driving licence (provisional or full)
- a government issued photo ID (from the UK or abroad)
- During the signup process we’ll ask you for an address. If you don’t have a permanent address then you can use another address that you have access to such as:
- Your work address
- Your parents’ address
- A friend’s address
- A local organisation that will let you use their address (like a church, shelter or charity)
- If you are not currently staying at your permanent address, then still enter your permanent address and you’ll then be able to get your card delivered to a different address.
- Finish signup and your debit card will arrive at your delivery address within a day or two! Once it arrives, just activate the card to start using your Monzo bank account.
If you don’t have access to any address at all, we can’t currently get you a Monzo account — which we know isn’t good enough. We’re working hard to find a way to get you an account even without an address and will update this post as soon as we do that.
If you’re in this position or helping someone in this position and have any questions, get in touch with us at [email protected]. We’re here to help 🙂