Terms and conditions
Prepaid card - 6th September 2017
On 6 September 2017 we made a change to the Monzo prepaid Terms and Conditions. This change was to remove an “Investigation Fee” listed under Section 17. Charges and limits. This was a £30 fee to cover costs of investigating suspicious transactions at customer’s request. This fee had never been charged by Monzo and we have removed it to make our Terms and Conditions clearer for our customers.
From 18 December 2017 new clauses will apply at 3.5, 5.1 and 17 to reflect the introduction of a new fee of 3% applied when you withdraw cash from an ATM in a currency that is not GBP after one fee-free withdrawal per calendar month. A new limit will also be introduced to the maximum single ATM withdrawal, both in the UK and abroad, of £200 at the same time. This is reflected in section 17.
1. The card
- These terms and conditions apply to any holder of this card (‘the card’). By using your card you are demonstrating your agreement to these terms and conditions.
- The card is promoted by Monzo Bank Ltd, registered office 230 City Road, London, EC1V 2QY, registered in England No. 09446231, operating as “Monzo”. The card is issued by Wirecard Card Solutions Limited, registered office 3rd Floor, Grainger Chambers, 3-5 Hood Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6JQ. Registered in England No. 07875693. Authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority to issue e-money (Firm Reference Number: 900051).
- The card is an e-money product, and as such it is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. In the unlikely event that Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd becomes insolvent, your funds may become valueless and unusable, and as a result you may lose your money.
- These terms and conditions are available online at www.monzo.com/terms. You can request a copy of these terms and conditions at any point in their duration.
In these terms and conditions, the following words and phrases have the meanings shown next to them:
- means automatic teller machine or cashpoint facility or cash dispenser;
- Business day
- means a day between and including Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm (UK time) except for bank or public holidays in England and Wales;
- means your Monzo Prepaid Debit Mastercard® Card;
- Card scheme
- means Mastercard;
- means a variety of charges that can be raised for purchase and ongoing use of the card;
- means personal identification number i.e. the security number provided for use with the card;
- Purse value
- means the maximum value of funds that can be held with the card any one time;
- meants a retailer, merchant or other supplier of goods and/ or services which accepts payment by means of a card, card number, PIN or card and signature;
- Summary Box
- means the section that includes notification of charges, limits and restrictions associated with the card;
- Supplier’s bank
- is the merchant acquirer used by the supplier for the purposes of receiving payments arising from transactions.
- Monzo Prepaid Debit Card
- means a card with the features set out in this document;
- Verification of identity
- means confirming personal identity and address of you by conducting electronic verification of your details or by you providing documentation of identity;
- We / us / our
- means Wirecard Card Solutions Limited or co-brand partners acting on our behalf;
- 12 month period following the date when the card is issued to you and each subsequent 12 month period.
- You / your
- means the person or persons who have received the card and are authorized to use the card as provided for in this Agreement;
2. Loading the card
The table below sets out the methods by which you can pay for and load up your card when you first get it and how you can load it up subsequently:
When you pay Method Limits Purchase Debit card Maximum initial load - £400 Reloading Bank transfer or debit card Maximum single load - £3,750
Up to permitted card purse value
- The time that it takes for your card balance to be updated when you load your card depends on the method that you use and the time that it takes for the funds to be sent to the Issuer. If the Issuer receives the funds on a business day, your card will be updated with the amount on the same business day. If the Issuer receives the funds on a day that is not a business day, the Issuer will update your balance on the next business day. You can check the transfer time, for example, with your bank if paying from a bank account.
- When funds are loaded onto your card, the payment is made in the same currency as that of your bank account. The currency you have used to load your card may be different to that of the card. Your statement will show the exchange rate used which applied on the date that the card was loaded. Exchange rates may change and the exchange rate which applies when you check may not be the exchange rate that was used to convert your funds to load your card.
3. Use of the card
- The card is a prepaid debit product which can be used to pay for goods and services at retailers that display the Card Scheme symbol. To use the card, present it at the time of payment. Use it in full or part payment of your purchase.
- Once basic personal information has been provided, the card may be loaded and used. This is subject to strict limits until we have verified your identity. We may require further information as set out in condition 16. Once these checks are passed, further limits apply. See condition 17 Summary Box for more full detail of limits.
- When you receive your card, you must use the Monzo mobile application to activate the card.
- You must not make purchases that exceed the balance of funds available on the card. Your balance will be reduced by the amount of each purchase you make. If any purchase takes you over your available funds or the card limits in force from time to time and set out in condition 2 (e.g. ATM withdrawal limit) the transaction will be declined.
You can use the card to make purchases in-store, via the internet or over the phone. The card can be used to obtain cash through ATMs. From December 18th 2017, when you withdraw cash from an ATM in a currency that is not GBP there will be a fee of 3% applied, after the one fee-free withdrawal per calendar month of up to £200. There is no cash back facility. This is not a debit card supported by a bank account, and is not in any way connected to a bank account. It is also not a guarantee card, charge card or credit card. You will not earn any interest on any funds loaded on to the card.
You must not use the card for:
- transactions for cash (other than ATM withdrawal) including cash back, cash from a bank, money orders, or
- any illegal purposes.
We may stop, suspend or restrict your card or PIN on reasonable grounds relating to:
- the security of your card, card number or PIN, and
- the suspected unauthorised or fraudulent use of your card or PIN. We will, if possible, inform you before stopping, suspending or restricting your card or PIN that we intend to do so and the reasons for doing this. If we are unable to do so then we will inform you immediately afterwards. The requirement to inform you does not apply where it would compromise reasonable security measures or it would be unlawful to do so.
- We are not responsible for the quality, safety, legality, or any other aspect of any goods or services purchased with the card. We are not liable for the failure of any merchant to honour the card.
- We will not issue the card under these terms and conditions to anyone under the age of 18 years old.
- If you have been issued with a simplified due diligence card or limited features card then you may only use this at ATM machines in the UK and at retailers within Europe.
- You agree that any use of your card, card number or PIN constitutes your authorisation and consent to a transaction.
- The time of receipt of a transaction order is when it is received by us. If a transaction order is received after 6pm on a business day then it will be deemed to have been received on the next business day. If receipt does not fall on a business day then it will be deemed to have been received on the next business day.
- You cannot stop a transaction after it has been transmitted to us by giving your consent to the transaction, or once you have given your consent to the supplier for a pre-authorised payment.
We may refuse a transaction or suspend or terminate the right to top up your card. We may do this if the relevant phone or computer link is busy. We may also do this if:
- a transaction might take you over your available funds on the card; or
- a transaction might take you over any of your card limits; or
- We reasonably believe that we need to do so to keep to the rules of the payment system under which your card is issued, or
- We reasonably believe that there are needs to do so to comply with any law or as a matter of good practice
5. Foreign currency transactions
- The card can be used for transactions that are not in the currency of the card. Please note that from December 18th 2017 ATM withdrawals in a non-GBP currency will attract a fee of 3% after the one fee-free withdrawal per calendar month of up to £200.
- If you make a transaction in a currency other than the currency of the card, we will change the amount into the currency of the card at the current Scheme rate or any rate that a government may set.
- Exchange rates may change, and the exchange rate that applies on the date that you make your transaction may not be the same as the exchange rate we use on the date that we convert the transaction and deduct it from your balance. You can check the exchange rate used as described in condition 6. Your Monzo mobile application will show the exchange rate.
6. Checking your balance and reviewing transactions
- To check the available balance on your card, you can use the Monzo mobile application.
- Using the login credentials you provided, you can access your transaction data via the Monzo mobile application, via download in CSV format, or via an application programming interface in JSON format.
7. When your card expires
- The card’s expiry date is printed on the card. You must not use the card after its expiry date and you will not be able to reload it.
- If you have used your card in the period of two weeks before its expiry date we will send you an email to inform you that we will automatically transfer the outstanding balance to a new card. The new card will be issued to you free of charge and sent to you at the address you have given us under condition 13.3 within two weeks of the expiry date. Tell us if you do not want your card to be renewed. To do this, contact us via the Monzo mobile application.
- If your card has not been used in the eight weeks prior to its expiry date, you will be sent an email asking if you want to replace that card and keep any existing balance on it. If you request that we do this, you will be issued with a replacement card within two weeks. A replacement card fee may apply (see Summary Box in condition 17).
- If you renew your card in circumstances under conditions 7.2 or 7.3 this agreement will continue to apply.
- If you request that your card is not renewed under condition 7.2 and 7.3 or do not request a replacement under condition 7.4, you will not be able to use it after its expiry date. You can redeem any outstanding balance on the card up to 6 years after the expiry date by following the process in condition 8. If any balance remains on the card for more than 6 years after the expiry date, it will not be refunded.
- You can redeem all or part of your balance by calling us on 0800 8021 456 up until the date that is 6 years after the expiry date shown on your card. We will transfer any redeemed funds into a bank account which is in your name. We may request proof from you of the account name.
- You will not be charged a fee for redemption.
You must always make sure that you:
- sign your card as soon as you receive it and keep it safe.
- do not reveal your PIN and never write down your password(s), PIN or any security information you have given us unless you do this in a way that would make it impossible for anyone else to recognise any of that information;
- only release the card, card number or PIN to make (or try to make) a transaction, and
If your card is lost or stolen or someone else finds out the PIN or if you think your card, card number or PIN may be misused, you must;
- without undue delay, pause the card within your Monzo mobile application. You can also permanently cancel the card via the mobile application. If you do not have access to the mobile application, call us without undue delay on 0800 8021 456 (we have a 24 hour service) so that we can stop your card and PIN;
- stop using the card, card number or PIN immediately. If you find the card after you have temporarily paused it, you can re-enable it via the app and continue using it. If you find the card after you have reported it permanently lost, stolen or misused, please cut it up and dispose of it.
- If your card is lost or stolen, you can order a replacement via the Monzo mobile application. We will charge a fee for replacement cards, although we may choose to waive the fee for the first replacement. This is set out in the Summary Box.
You may not be liable for any use of the card, card number, PIN or mobile application by another person who does not have your permission to use it or if it is lost, stolen or destroyed, unless:
- you agreed to that person having your card, card number, PIN or mobile application credentials, or through gross negligence or carelessness, failed to comply with condition 9.1, in which case you may be liable for any use that occurs before you tell us in accordance with these terms and conditions, or
- you acted fraudulently then, to the extent permitted by law, you may be liable for misuse of the card, card number, PIN or mobile application.
- you may only be liable to a maximum of £50 resulting from transactions arising from the use of a lost or stolen card or from the misappropriation of the payment instrument where the cardholder has failed to keep security features of the card safe. The £50 liability limit is applicable to each instance of loss, theft or misappropriation and not each transaction.
- If your card is used without your permission, or is lost, stolen or if you think the card may be misused, we may disclose to law enforcement agencies any information which we reasonably believe may be relevant.
We will not be liable for:
- any abnormal or unforeseeable circumstances outside our reasonable control (for example, a failure of computer systems which happens for reasons outside our reasonable control or any industrial action which happens for reasons outside our reasonable control) if this prevents us from providing its usual service;
- any person refusing to accept or honour (or delays in accepting or honouring) your card, card number or PIN, or
- any cash dispenser failing to issue cash. We will not be liable for the way in which you are told about any refusal or delay.
- In case of errors or disputes about transactions, please contact us using the Monzo mobile application.
10. Altering these Terms and Conditions
- We may change any of these terms and conditions, including fees and charges, or introduce new terms. If we make any changes, we will give 2 month’s prior written notice to you by email.
- If we change these terms and conditions, the new terms and conditions will be available at www.monzo.com/terms from the date the change takes place.
- You will be deemed to have accepted any change to these terms and conditions unless you notify us of any objection before the proposed date of the change.
- Between receipt of the notice and the proposed date of change, if you notify us that you do not accept the change, this agreement will terminate immediately and subject to condition 8.2 you can redeem your total balance at that time without charge.
11. Cancellation rights
- If you change your mind about having the card, you can cancel it at any time without charge. We will refund any balance remaining on the card to you.
- We will reimburse you in the currency the same as that of your pre-paid card.
12. Ending this agreement
- We may terminate this agreement at any time. Unless there are exceptional circumstances we will give you 2 month’s prior written notice.
- You can terminate this agreement by calling us on 0800 8021 456, subject to conditions 10.4 and 11
- If you do not redeem your full balance within 6 years of your card’s expiry date, this agreement terminates.
- By entering into this agreement you agree that we may use your information in accordance with the ‘How we use your information’ section of these terms and conditions, as set out in condition 16.
- We may monitor and/or record telephone calls between you and us or service providers.
- You must provide us with an email, postal address and phone number and let us know of any changes.
- We may transfer our rights or obligations under this agreement or arrange for any other person to carry out its rights or obligations under this agreement. You may not transfer any of your rights or obligations under this agreement.
- We can delay enforcing its rights under this agreement without losing them.
- If we cannot enforce any paragraph, condition or part of a paragraph or condition under this agreement, it will not affect any of the other paragraphs, conditions or the other part of the paragraph or condition in this agreement.
- This agreement is governed by the law of England and Wales. The language of this agreement is English and all notices and information given under this agreement will be in English.
14. Payment services information
- This condition 14 only applies if the supplier’s bank is located within the European Economic Area (EEA) and the payment services being carried out are transacted in Euro, or another currency of an EEA member state.
We will ensure that a transaction you make is credited to the supplier’s bank, or that returned funds following redemption or cancellation are credited to your bank within these timescales:
Type of Transaction Timescale Transaction carried out in a currency other than Euro (€) or Pounds Sterling (£)
Transaction involving more than one currency
By the end of the fourth business day following the day on which the transaction or order is received Any other Transaction By the end of the business day following the day on which the transaction order is received
- If you use your card or provide your card details to a supplier to make a transaction before you know the amount which is going to be charged to your card, then you may be entitled to request a refund if the amount is unexpectedly large, provided that you inform Monzo within eight weeks from the date the transaction is deducted from your balance. You will NOT be entitled to a refund if you have been told by us, or the supplier, of the amount of that transaction at least four weeks before the transaction is due to be deducted from your balance, and you consented to the transaction.
- On receipt of such a request under condition 14.3, we may require you to provide us with the information to ascertain whether the conditions in condition 14.3 have been met. Within 10 business days of receiving a request from you under condition 14.3 or of receiving any additional information required under this paragraph, we will provide a refund or justify why we are refusing the request.
- We are liable for the correct execution of the transaction unless we can prove that the transaction was received by the supplier’s bank, in which case the supplier’s bank is liable to the supplier. You may request that we make immediate efforts to trace an incorrectly executed transaction and notifies you of the outcome.
- When a supplier initiates a transaction it is the supplier’s bank which is liable for the correct transmission of the relevant details to us. If the supplier’s bank can prove that it is not responsible for a transaction which has failed or has been incorrectly executed, we will be responsible to you.
- If we are responsible for an incorrect amount of a transaction being deducted from your balance, we will correct the error. If we are responsible for a transaction being deducted from your balance which you did not authorise, we will refund the amount of the transaction to your balance and treat the transaction as if it had never occurred. You must inform us of an unauthorised or incorrect transaction as soon as possible and in any event no later than 13 months after the debit date. If you do not do so, we may not be liable.
- We are not liable if you incorrectly identify the supplier under a transaction. In such a case, we will make reasonable efforts to recover the funds involved
15. Complaints and how to contact us
- If you would like to make a complaint, or contact us for any other reason connected to these terms and conditions please write to Monzo, 12 Epworth Street, London, EC2A 4DL, contact us via the Monzo mobile application or call us on 0800 8021 456. We have procedures in place to make sure that we handle your complaint fairly and quickly. However, if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service by writing to Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR; calling them on 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9123; emailing on [email protected]; or through their website www.financial-ombudsman.co.uk.
16. How we use your information
We will search your record at credit reference and fraud prevention agencies. These searches are to check your identity and we do not carry out full credit reference checks or credit scoring for this purpose. We will use an automated decision-making system to assess your application and verify your identity.
- If we are unable to verify your identity adequately, we may ask you to provide some documentary evidence to help confirm your identity and address.
- Credit reference agencies may check the details you supply against any particulars on any database (public or otherwise) to which they have access. An unrecorded enquiry will be made. An unrecorded enquiry is a search that was not made for lending purposes. It cannot affect your credit rating or score when you apply for credit. It is not seen by other lenders. It is included on your credit report so you know the search was made but does not affect your credit rating, or score, when you apply for credit.
If you give us false or inaccurate information and we identify fraud, we will record this with fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
- The fraud prevention agencies will share records with other organisations. We and other organisations may access and use the information recorded by fraud prevention agencies overseas.
- Please contact us via the Monzo mobile application if you would like details of those credit reference and fraud prevention agencies. You have a legal right to these details.
- You have certain rights to receive a copy of any information we hold about you. Please contact us via the Monzo mobile application. We may charge you for this service.
- Some information held by credit reference and fraud prevention agencies will be disclosed to us and other organisations in order to prevent fraud and money laundering, by checking applications for credit, credit-related or other facilities, proposals and claims for all types of insurance, job applications and employee records, and to verify your identity.
- The information held by these agencies may also be used for other purposes for which you give your specific permission or, in very limited circumstances, when required by law or where permitted under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998.
When you have an agreement with us we may use the following types of information about you:
- information you give us or we already hold about you, including any phone number you call us from, which we may record;
- information available about your usage or configuration of your mobile device, including the presence of other applications, unique device-identifying information, and any identifying cellular network, IP, wifi or bluetooth data;
- information you give us explicit permission to access from your mobile device, including your address book, photos, geolocation, data from your cameras or microphones (You may choose not to give permission to share this data, but it may restrict the usage of certain features of the mobile application);
- information from any social network or other online accounts that you choose to share with us;
- information we receive when making a decision about your application or agreement, including information we receive from enquiries and searches made in your name with credit reference and fraud prevention agencies;
- information (including details of payments and transactions) we may hold about any managed account or policy which you hold with or through us, and
- information we receive from anyone who is allowed to provide us with information about you.
We will process, use, manage, control, release and record information about you to:
- search credit reference and fraud prevention agencies’ records (including information from overseas) to manage your account;
- manage your accounts and policies, and manage any application, agreement or correspondence you may have with us;
- carry out, monitor, analyse and improve our business;
- contact you by post, by phone or in another way about other products and services which we consider may interest you – unless you tell us that you prefer not to receive direct marketing;
- fight fraud, money-laundering, terrorism and other crimes, and
- keep to any laws or regulations in any country
We may reveal information about you:
- to any person working for us or our co-brand partner
- to fraud prevention agencies;
- to any organisation which backs any of our products which you hold;
- to any payment system under which we issue your card;
- if a payment is processed through a worldwide payment system, to certain authorities in order to detect and prevent terrorism (including authorities outside the UK);
- to any person to whom we transfer any of our rights or obligations under any agreement we may have with you, and
- to anyone you authorise us to give information about you to.
- Processing your information, as described above, may involve sending it to other countries outside of the EEA including the United States of America. In such circumstances we are responsible for making sure that your information continues to be protected.
- We will keep information about you for only as long as we need to or is required to meet legal obligations.
17. Charges and limits
This table summarises key product features and information and is not intended to replace the terms and conditions of the product. The fees, limits and restrictions that apply to each card are set out below. You can find details of the limits currently applied to your account in the "Settings" section of the app.
|Fees and limits||Detail|
|Fee to buy card||£0|
|Fee for loading card by credit card||Not available|
|Fee for loading card by debit card||Not available|
|Fee for loading the card by cash||Not available|
|Fee for loading the card by electronic / bank transfer||£0|
|Fee for any replacement card||£0|
|Fee for termination||£0|
|Fee for non-GBP ATM withdrawals from December 18th 2017 (after the one fee-free withdrawal per calendar month of up to £200)||3% of amount withdrawn|
|Card limits – before identity verification|
|Maximum balance at any time||£400|
|Maximum daily load||£0|
|Maximum monthly load||£0|
|Maximum annual load||£0|
|Maximum single card payment||£200|
|Daily ATM withdrawal limit||£0|
|Monthly ATM withdrawal limit||£0|
|Annual ATM withdrawal limit||£0|
|Monzo-to-Monzo limits – before identity verification|
|Maximum received from another Monzo user in a month||£0|
|Monzo.me limits – before identity verification|
|Maximum received from Monzo.me in a month||£0|
|Card limits – after identity verification|
|Maximum balance at any time||£10,000|
|Maximum daily load||£3,750|
|Maximum monthly load||£5,000|
|Maximum annual load||£60,000|
|Maximum single card payment||£1,000|
|Maximum single ATM withdrawal||£200|
|Daily ATM withdrawal limit||£250|
|Monthly ATM withdrawal limit||£1,000|
|Annual ATM withdrawal limit||£3,000|
|Monzo-to-Monzo limits – after identity verification|
|Maximum received from another Monzo user in a month||£1,000|
|Monzo.me limits – after identity verification|
|Maximum received from Monzo.me in a month||£1,000|
|Minimum Monzo.me payment||£1|
|Maximum Monzo.me payment||£100|
|Card limits – enhanced identity verification|
|Maximum balance at any time||£10,000|
|Maximum daily load||£3,750|
|Maximum monthly load||£10,000|
|Maximum annual load||£120,000|
|Maximum single card payment||£2,000|
|Maximum single ATM withdrawal||£200|
|Daily ATM withdrawal limit||£400|
|Monthly ATM withdrawal limit||£2,000|
|Annual ATM withdrawal limit||£5,000|
|Fee for purchases in the currency of the card||£0|
|Service charge (commission) for purchases not in currency of card||£0|
|Cash withdrawal fees|
|Fee for ATM withdrawal in the currency of the card. NOTE ATM providers may raise addition charges.||£0|
|Fee for ATM withdrawal in a currency other than the currency of the card. NOTE ATM providers may raise addition charges.||£0*
*On December 18th this will increase to 3% after the one fee-free transaction each month
|Fee to receive a paper copy statement||£0|
|Monthly administration fee||£0|