We are making some changes to our Terms and Conditions that will apply from the 18 December 2017.
- Change the way the unauthorised overdraft fees work by changing the interest rate from 19.9% EAR to a daily 50p charge after an initial £20 buffer. This will be achieved by removing the first part of the making payments section and replacing it with“You must have enough money in your account to make payments. However, certain transactions may still go through in which case we will let you know the amount that you'll need to repay before the end of the day. If you don't, we charge a daily fee of £0.50 if you are in overdraft at the end of the day. The balance of up to £20 is free of charge. Overdraft fees are calculated at the end of the day and taken from your account on the first day of the month.”
- Introducing a 3% charge for withdrawing cash from an ATM outside of the UK after an £200 fee-free amount in any rolling 30 day period. This will be done by introducing a new section called Using your card abroad which will be: “Your Monzo card will work outside of the UK, however, please note that for some ATMs you may need to enable the magnetic stripe. You can do this in the app. As foreign ATM withdrawals cost us money we pass those costs to you. You can withdraw up to £200 of foreign ATM withdrawals in any rolling 30 day period without incurring a fee. After that the cost is 3% of the total amount withdrawn above £200.”
These legal terms (English law applies) are between you and Monzo Bank Limited (Monzo/us/we) and you agree to them by using the Monzo app.
You should read this document along with our Data Privacy Notice.
We will contact you in English 🇬🇧 and Emoji 😃 via the Monzo app, or through your email, phone or home address. Please let us know if any of these change!
You must have enough money in your account to make payments. However, certain transactions may still go through in which case we will let you know the amount that you'll need to repay before the end of the day. If you don't, we will charge you interest at an Effective Annual Rate of 19.9% on the amount until repaid in full. Interest is calculated at the end of the day and taken from your account on the first day of the month.
We may block your payments if:
- your instructions are unclear
- we suspect there is criminal activity on your account
- we are not legally allowed to make the transfer
- it exceeds your payment limits which are available in your app and may change over time
If this happens we will let you know as soon as possible.
Please keep your phone, card and PIN safe at all times.
If you lose your card or you see transactions in the app that look incorrect, you should freeze your card in the app and let us know as soon as possible. We might be able to refund any money you lost due to our mistakes or inaccuracies with your payments or due to fraudulent activity on your account.
However, you won't be able to claim losses if:
- you were very careless or you intentionally failed to keep your phone, card and PIN safe
- you broke the terms of this agreement
- you gave us incorrect instructions (but we'll do our best to help you recover your money)
- we took actions under conditions outside of our control
- they are not the direct and predictable result of our actions
If someone pays money into your account by mistake you permit us to return it.
If you have a complaint, please contact us and we will do our best to fix the problem.
If you're still not happy, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. For more details you can visit their website at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.
This agreement will always be available in the app and on our website.
If we make changes to it that are clearly in your favour, we'll tell you once they've been made. Otherwise we will give you two months' notice.
If you don't agree to these changes, you can let us know and we will close your account. Any money in the account will be transferred to another account of yours, and any money you owe us will have to be repaid.
To close your account, please get in touch with us. Any money you owe us will have to be repaid before the account can be closed. Once the account is closed, your card will no longer work and you won't be able to access your account.
We can close your account by giving you at least two months' notice. We may close your account or suspend use of your card and app immediately if we believe you have:
- broken the terms of this agreement
- put us in a position where we might break the law
- broken the law or attempted to break the law
- given us false information at any time
- behaved in an abusive manner to anyone at Monzo or a member of the Monzo community
Monzo Bank Limited, authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 730427). Registered in England. Registered No. 9446231. Registered Office: 230 City Road, London, EC1V 2QY.